So What is Facebook Domain Verification?
Domain Verification provides a way for you to claim ownership of your domain in Business Manager. This ownership allows you to control editing privileges of your links and other content to prevent misuse of your domain and to keep bad actors from spreading misinformation.
Who is Facebook Domain Verification for?
Domain Verification is the best way to handle ownership if:
- You have a larger number of Pages that are difficult to maintain manually via Open Graph markup tags
- You have adopted or have the ability to adopt Business Manager to manage your assets
- You have the ability to upload HTML files to the web root directory or the ability to edit DNS TXT records
- You can edit Link Page Posts that link to content you own—ownership will eventually serve as a means to determine who has access to link editing
- You want to control who can edit link descriptions on ads pointing to your domain.
You have 2 options available to you when verifying your domain HTML Verification or DNS options but we feel the simplest & quickest option for you is a simple cut and paste option of the HTML code.
Using HTML Meta Tag Upload (The Easiest Option)
The HTML File Upload tab of your selected domain provides the HTML verification file you need to upload to your website.
- Download the HTML verification file.
- Upload the file to the root directory of your website. You will be able to see that it is uploading at the link provided in the HTML File Upload tab.
- Once it is done, click the Verify button at the bottom of the HTML File Verification tab for the selected domain.
- Leave the HTML verification file in your website’s root directory as it may be checked periodically for verification purposes.
You need admin access to your website’s root folder to perform this type of verification.
How To Add The HTML Facebook Domain Verification In Squarespace
Step 1 : Use a meta tag verification method
In the third-party site, you can have an option to verify your site utilising a meta tag verification method.
You will need to go to your Facebook Business Manager and then Business Settings > Brand Safety > Domains > Then Add
You Will Need To Add The URL You Want to Verify.
Enter Your Full URL That Needs Verifying.
You will need to enter your domain name and then you will be presented with 3 options
- DNS – Add a DNS TXT record to your domain host to prove that you own the domain.
- HTML File Upload – Upload an HTML verification file to your website.
- Meta-tag Verification – Set the meta-tag containing the verification code into thesection of your website’s homepage. If choosing this we would recommend leaving this in place as Facebook may check back on your site.
NOW for the purpose of Squarespace we are going to focus on the Meta Tag Verification method.
Step 2 : Copy full meta tag to your clipboard
Highlight the full meta tag on the third-party site and copy it to your clipboard with cmd + c on a Mac or ctrl + c on a PC. You must choose everything, even the < and >. You can take a look at the example:
<meta name=”facebook-domain-verification” content=“xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx” />
Step 4 : Click Settings
Select the “settings” option.
Step 5 : Click Advanced
Please select the advanced option.
Step 6 : Click Code Injection
Select the Code injection option and this is where your going to place your COPIED Facebook Verification code.
Paste the meta tag that you copied on a blank line right under other meta data you may have saved.